Tag Results for
"Palo Alto" - 18 Total Result(s)
Hewlett-Packard’s First Commercial Facility
In 1940, Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard moved to their first manufacturing facility outside of the Addison Avenue garage. The new facility was located behind a repair shop owned by John “Tinker” Bell. ...
HP’s First Administration Building
Hewlett-Packard’s first administration building, built in 1954, was located at 395 Page Mill Road in Palo Alto, California.
HP’s First Internal Recycling Program
Hewlett-Packard began its first internal recycling program at its Palo Alto facility in 1966, which continued into the 1970s.
Noel “Ed” Porter: A Company Man
Noel “Ed” Porter exemplified the tight bonds that characterized Hewlett-Packard’s early years, playing a role in several of the company’s most important moments. A childhood friend of Bill Hewlett, it ...
PaloAltoOpoly Board Game
This custom board game featured local Palo Alto Landmarks. At $4,100, Hewlett-Packard was the most expensive property on the board, located right next to the Lucile Salter Children’s Hospital at Stanf ...
Running the Circuit: Women Technicians
Even early in Hewlett-Packard history, women were not excluded from technician roles. This included jobs involving the circuit etching process at the Palo Alto facility.
Their Doors Are Still Open
Hewlett-Packard’s company culture encouraged an “open door” policy where supervisors were accessible to their employees and receptive to their comments. The policy began at the top, where Bill and Dav ...
Women and Heavy Machinery at HP
Challenging mid-century notions of women’s work, female employees at the Palo Alto production facility often worked with heavy machinery.